Friday, July 6, 2007

From Where I Sit

I've been in my wheelchair for 20 yrs, during that time I have certainly gotten used to the minor and major inconveniences of sitting all of the time. I take things for granted. By this I mean that I take for granted things I cannot do. I take for granted that when I'm in a crowd of people, I will not be able to see ahead of the crowd. My vision is limited to the back pockets, legs, purses, and yes...butts ahead of me. I take for granted that most of the handicapped spots will be filled at Wal-Mart, not by others using wheelchairs and lift-vans but by people who are walking who may or may not be deserving of the handicapped placard hanging on their visor.

But I could go on and on about all of the disadvantages of being in a wheelchair. That's not really my purpose today. I would like to show you what I see on a typical day at an art show. Because it's summer, we are going to lots of art festivals, as well as participating as artists in the shows. The going as a patron can get pretty rough. I know walking people see me as rude and pushy, but truthfully folks I really have to be in order to see anything at all. But as the twenty years have passed, I find myself accepting more and more, sometimes to the point of simply not even going to these shows. It's often too much for me to have to constantly struggle just to see in the booths, damn, it's hard just to get in the booths. This leaves me emotionally spent and angry, not a good way to spend my time.

In the coming days I'll post some video shot from my chair, this might give you an idea of what I see.

10 comments:

Ruth said...

I think videotaping that point of view is a great idea. I agree that sometimes people misinterpret my wheelchair movement , perhaps negatively when actually I just move differently in the world. And it can be tiring- exhausting to deal with this stuff sometimes.

Unknown said...

While not being in a wheelchair myself, I can understand where you are coming from. I have been raising a niece since she was the age of 9 and she used to be in a wheelchair. I can understand what you mean by having to be rude to be able to see things. While I was able to see things, I had to be able to get my niece to the front so she could see things also.
I'm hoping you can help me with a project I am working on for school (which I hope to take into the real world after college). I am going to be doing a survey regarding clothing difficulties for people with disabilities. Would you be interested in responding to an anonymous survey regarding your thoughts about there not being clothing in stores such as Wal-Mart and Target for people with disabilities?
Also, could you tell me how a person starts a blog such as this one?

Thank You,
Sarah

Chair Aerobics.com said...

This is a great blog. Please join me over www.thechairaerobics.blogspot.com.

none said...

Having been in a chair now for 35 long years I can safely say I have only ever found one advantage of being lower the the able bodied and that's when:

Approached by a tall lady in a short skirt :)

Keep up the great blog.

Unknown said...

This is exactly why I do not go anywhere. I feel the people around me just don't see me as a person who does anything but inconvenience them. They are able to get through a croud, but often times I find myself trapped. Maybe it is because I am new to being in a wheel chair, but I wish people would try to understand what we are going through.

hsalsman said...

It would be great to see this perspective! I read an awesome book, which is similar to what you're talking about... it's called "Double Take", written by Kevin Michael Connolly; his website is at http://kevinmichaelconnolly.com/ . He was born without legs, and his chosen method of travel was a skateboard. He decided to snap pictures of people's reactions to him as he traveled along. It was a really great book.

wanda said...

I am doing a paper on the disadvandage of being wheelchair bound and having to go to a mall and shop and try on clothes going to the restroom there and also eatting at the food court there can anyone give me some inside into how this is and what you would change if you could with the mall as far as wheelchair access.

Unknown said...

I too have found myself always at the back of the crowd - even on a recently holiday with friends, they stood beside me watching a show without realising that I couldn't see a thing. Mind, I didn't tell them either and I guess that's my failing. The have been other times when people have made way for me to get to the stall or to the front of the crowd and I think maybe it's just education is the difference. I am involved with a disability awareness training company (www.elephant-in-the-room.co.uk) and so I should have known better with my friends - I should have taken the time to make them a little more aware, just as we do in our presentations and then maybe they would pass that awareness on little by little and we could all go to art shows...

~Lindsey said...

Hey there. I was searching for disabled bloggers & found you on the list. I too am disabled. I became a double amputee (legs) in 2001 from Meningococcal Meningitis. I blog about both my life as a disabled person & also about beauty products & other random things I like. I'd like to follow your blog but can't find how to on your page. I'd also LOVE for you to follow mine! My blog is at: www.beautyandthedisability.blogspot.com . Hope all is well in your world! =)

Unknown said...

This site is some things special and different than other.
This is a nice web site. Good fresh interface and nice informative articles. I will be coming back soon, thanks for the

great article.

sharenews, bdnews, dse , bdjobs, prothom alo, banglanews, sharenews bd,

medical suggestion , Main causes of brain cancer

,

Get exclusive WordPress themes full free premium themes in this site.

Main Causes of Breast Cancer , Best Way To Muscle Gain