Thursday, June 28, 2007

Buzz Buzz

There's so much buzzing around in my head that I want to express in this blog. It's hard for me to keep my focus and decipher what it is I'm thinking and feeling, into coherent words.
For now I'll stay on course and talk about the weekend at Comfest. I took the camera along to document my experience from the wheelchair. Unfortunately the really juicy stuff didn't get taped, I guess I thought it was rolling but it wasn't.
Comfest had what sounded like a really interesting exhibit which documented the history of the festival, from it's roots in 1972, as a student event on the campus of Ohio State University, to the present consumer-driven market place with a progressive feel. The exhibit was in the shelter house at Goodale Park, in the middle of the festival grounds.
I've been to the shelter house a number of times and so I knew it would be accessible, however, I didn't realize that the stage connected to the shelter house gazebo would encroach upon the wheelchair access area.
By now I've become so used to such oversight and thoughtlessness that I pretty much take it in stride, I even expect it I suppose. That's what happens I guess when you encounter so much disappointment and discrimination, you eventually stop believing that you deserve more. Your edges become smooth and soft, like a rock in a creek constantly being washed over.
It took a moment for me to realize that I had an opportunity to document my experience with the camera, and alas all was lost to my incompetence with the camera.
Anyway, I grabbed the nearest hippie and asked about the accessible entrance to the exhibit, to his credit, he immediately found help and solved my problem. The solution was that I literally climb a hill with my chair up into the building. To be exact he asked "can you get that thing up here"? hehehe.
I prefer to think of my little Jazzy power chair as an extension of myself, not a thing. Anyway...I was able to climb the hill with "my thing" and see the exhibit.
Having been in a manual chair for 17yrs, I know the shortcomings, fortunately I use a power chair now and am able to do much more outside in grass than I was ever able to do with my manual. I was pretty upset that the solution was to climb a hill. My comrades in manual chairs would find it impossible to negotiate that hill. Here's what would have happened to me had I been in a manual chair: I would have sized up the hill in relation to my desire to see the exhibit, perhaps let off a string of obscenities in the direction of the hippie and decided to forgo the exhibit.
Here's what I would have missed: being pushed up said hill, over bumps that nearly knock me out of my chair, if not jar my spine and butt into spasms for the rest of the day. I hate being pushed.
I love my little mid-wheel drive suburban assault chair. It goes anywhere I want. Except up steps and into the intimate world of other people's homes (to be continued in another post).

No comments: